Interested in working at the market? Check out available positions below from the Market and our members.
See below available positions:
Start date: August 13, 2022 or earlier
End date: December 31, 2023
Hours: Full time, temporary position, ~35-40 hours per week, including weekend market days
(Saturdays and Sundays).
Wage: $20 per hour
The Ottawa Farmers’ Market is looking for a self-starter and outdoors enthusiast to join us at the markets for the length of the 2022 harvest season and beyond. While this is a temporary position, the right candidate has the potential to continue in a similar role as the OFM grows. The Operations Coordinator reports to the market manager, and will also oversee a small team of Market Assistants on market days. The Operations Coordinator will be responsible for assisting the market manager with on-site market operations, executing OFM programming, rolling out the weekly markets at all locations, and assisting with any events or community activities taking place at the market(s).
The Market Coordinator is the on-site, go-to person for vendors and customers, and will be responsible for :
– Mapping out market site(s) weekly, and orienting vendors to their stall;
– Setting up the Ottawa Farmers’ Market information booth : canopy, tables, and chairs;
– Putting out signage and equipment for market day prior to opening;
– Following and enforcing market policies as set out by Manager and Board of Directors;
– Supervising and coordinating satellite market locations;
– Collecting sales statistics from vendors;
– Communications support: responding to customer inquiries;
– Updating the OFM website’s weekly vendor attendance list;
– Coordinating volunteers and seasonal employees, buskers, community groups and special events; and
– Providing first aid onsite.
During the week, the Operations Coordinator works remotely to prepare the various aspects of a market like publishing the weekly site map(s), responding to vendor and patron queries, and scheduling buskers and volunteers. On the weekends, the Operations Coordinator executes the market day with one Market Assistant. From May to October, the Operations Coordinator is responsible for the on the ground, day-of market logistics at the Thursday (Orleans), Saturday (Westboro), and Sunday (Barrhaven) markets. Approximately 23 – 25 hours will be spent at three market sites during the week:
Orleans 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Westboro 6:45 am – 3:45 pm
Barrhaven 8:30 am – 2:30 pm or Lansdowne 7:00 am – 4:00 pm
During the fall and winter months, the Operations Coordinator will still be responsible for operating the weekly Sunday market at Lansdowne, but they will also assist market managers in any clerical duties as required, including membership renewals, new membership applications, AGM preparations, summer market programming, etc.
– Valid ‘Full G’ driver’s license
– Experience in a farmers’ market environment is strongly desired for this position, with a keen interest in supporting Ottawa’s local food system.
– Post-secondary education in marketing, communications, event planning or related experience and education.
– Able to lift 40 kgs, and work in inclement weather.
– Outgoing and personable, with experience in conflict resolution and strong diplomacy skills.
– Must be able to work all market weekends, year-round, and be able to work from home/remotely during the week and attend weekday/evening meetings as required.
– Experience in using Excel, Mailchimp, Quickbooks, Gmail and WordPress.
– First aid certification (either before you begin working, or shortly after starting the position).
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com by August 7, 2022.